If you are an adventure sport enthusiast and have a bucket list that looks like a shopping list and you often look up a site that lists and provides information on these trips and expeditions, you are one of the millions bitten by the adventure bug. It’s a new phenomenon and everyone is just waiting for go out and explore. People are travelling like never before and that’s why we thought we should get a list out that will help you make wiser choices
If you have already traveled and explored you may find some of the points here relevant and get ideas for your next adventure and if you are a new kid on the block, use this as your checklist!!!
Adventure sports holiday in India is still in its early days; and most operators claim to offer something that they call adventure. This is good news as outdoors in India is much needed and has a huge potential; as a country we are blessed with great variety of landscapes from the barren Himalayas in Ladakh to the green hills in the southern part of the country, there is so much to explore and so much to experience.
Like with everything else, there is a flip side to the mushrooming of adventure sports holiday operators. So we list down 6 essential parameters that any operator should meet before you sign up; the biggest consideration in any adventure sport event is the risk associated with it, and biggest of them being the risk of life!
1. Safety – As much you may hate to accept, it’s true, all adventure sports holidays have potential risk to your life & well being; This is also the biggest deterrent, as the family is never confident or are unwilling to take the risk; Therefore it’s imperative you choose a operator who not only claims but actually understands safety standards and has accurate and defined procedures and plans; These should include evacuation plans like availability of a SOS vehicle or ambulance on call; a must is to have a certified first aid administrator and basic first aid Kit.
2. Local knowledge – Most of the adventure sports activities happen in remote places; a local guide or a team lead from the region is a must in those expeditions; when you are dealing with local people he/she can be a great asset when, if you need help in a distress situation or just help you understand the culture better, so that you don’t end up offending people. for example, places like Leh, where altitude is a major challenge, only a local person can accurately predict any inconvenience or uneasiness people feel, thus identifying the issue and finding solutions are much easy than depending on bookish knowledge.
3. Right accommodation – Everyone promises neat & hygienic accommodation, but when you are on a physically demanding trip comfort is equally important; A good sleep in the night can make a lot of difference in the quality of your activity the next day; Don’t forget to check the exact specifications like tent size & Shape, quality and the thermal capacity of sleeping bags and sleeping mattresses. Provisions for kitchen, water and other essentials.
4. Equipment – This should be a non-negotiable item on your list; Whether it’s the equipment you are renting from the service provider or its the basic equipment they use; ensure they are in perfect working condition and there is no compromise on quality; If you are carrying your equipment, do ensure they have the expertise to handle issues related to it;
5. Food VS Nutrition – when you are involved in a demanding physical activity it’s not only important to eat, but even more important to eat right; everyone talks about good & nutritious food, it’s a good idea to check what their definition of ‘good’ is. It’s important the operator understands the amount of calorie intake required to right kind of calories that are required to keep you well nourished both during and after the activity.
6. Ask for specifications about the route & difficulty levels – Last but not the least, ensure the operator is able to give you details about the route, difficulty levels, amount of preparation required to undertake the expedition; Pick up a n expedition that matches your fitness & Capability levels. And don’t shy away from asking for references and speak to people who have done this before. Take feedback about the route, gradients, challenges and also the service provider’s capabilities.
Adventure sports holiday is a great way of unwinding and connecting with oneself if done in the right way and the easiest way of ensuring a good holiday is to pick the right operator. Choose wisely and make the right decision.